Pilots get to travel the work and fly miles above the rest of us. A job with rich experiences, the life of a pilot is an interesting one. Click below to find out about your potential future as a pilot.
Average Salary for a Pilot: $9,529 /Month
Average Salary Overall: $3,248 /Month
Average Working Hours (Weekly) for a Pilot: 20++ (20 flying hours, more time spent prepping for flights)
Average Working Hours (Weekly): 48
Important School Subjects:
- Okay working inconsistent hours?
- Okay losing out on sleep?
- Someone who loves to travel?
What you need to do:
- Graduate from high school
- Go to college/uni for 4 years, study aeronautics, aviation, physics or the like (Bachelors degree)
- Gain flight experience, spend time in the air as a pilot-in-training, take flight school classes
- Get FAA licensed and certified by passing an exam (just like your driving license exam?)
- Gain experience as a co-pilot or helicopter pilot as you learn and mature more as a pilot, before becoming a pilot at a major airline
The famous Amelia Earhart was a pilot, and in fact was the first female aviator (pilot) to fly solo across the Atlantic ocean, and received many prizes and much recognition for this feat. She also set other major records as a pilot and wrote some best selling books to add to her stellar career. During her attempt to circumnavigate the globe, she disappeared over the pacific ocean, leading to some pretty spooky conspiracy theories. Learn more about this pioneering pilot here.
Only the second man to have ever set foot on the moon, Buzz Aldrin is renowned for his astronautical successes. But most people don’t know that Buzz Aldrin is actually a pilot; and he served in the United States Air Force as a pilot. He went to the prestigious West Point Academy, where he studied engineering (as many pilots do) before entering the military. He also did a brief graduate degree in astronautics at MIT. Learn more about Aldrin here.
A famous old film, Top Gun is a classic story about a pilot in the military. Tom Cruise plays a bold, badass pilot called ‘Maverick’ who is a risk-taking and adventurous pilot in this movie. The film won several awards and was incredibly successful. Though aviation and being a pilot is rarely as glamorous as it’s presented in this movie, it shows what life in the cockpit can be like. Click here to learn more about Top Gun.
Recommended for you: