Life as a police officer might be a little less glorious than it is on CSI. An intense job, you can be doing a range of things as an officer, living a life of variety and public service. Click below to find out about your potential future in a police uniform.
Average Salary for an Officer: $1,572 /Month
Average Salary Overall: $3,248 /Month
Average Working Hours (Weekly) for an Officer: 40+
Average Working Hours (Weekly) Overall: 48
Important School Subjects:
- PE (Physical Education)
- Someone who likes challenges?
- Someone who likes physical training?
- A good communicator?
- Someone who stays calm in dangerous situations?
What you need to do:
- Graduate from high school
- (Optional) Go to college and get a degree (Bachelors) in Psychology, Criminal Justice, Law, Sociology or similar
- Go to police academy, learn the police protocol, responses, rules, procedures and train to get in good enough shape at the academy
- Become a full officer, gaining experience as you become a more senior officer over time
Famous Police Officers
Shaq! Not many people know this, but Shaquille O’Neal – the NBA superstar used to be a police officer. Not surprising; not many people want to miss with that beast. He looks different in a police uniform compared to on a basketball court. Maybe you can see yourself wearing that uniform in the future? Click here to learn more about Shaquille O’Neal’s time in uniform.
Who can forget this movie poster? RoboCop was a heavily anticipated movie in 2014, and did well in cinemas. It’s a reboot of an older film (1987), RoboCop has been around for a long time. This police officer had some CGI (subtle, isn’t it) used on him, giving him his sleek, menacing look. Armed with technologies that are hard to imagine, no-one messes with RoboCop. Maybe you can be like him someday, learn more about RoboCop here.
Teddy! Almost no-one knows this; Theodore Roosevelt – former president of the USA was at one point a police officer. Clearly being an officer can be a gateway career, it doesn’t limit you. Basketball players to US presidents, a lot of people have been at this job. Theodore Roosevelt wasn’t a guy to toy with, he was a soldier in addition to being a cop throughout his life. He was, and still is the youngest US president. Learn more about this political cop here.
Recommended for you: